The Legislator of the Year award was implemented to recognize local Arizona legislators who are making a positive difference for the commercial real estate in Arizona. Those contributions are measured by their voting record during the session as well as any bills they sponsor or cosponsor that follow and promote ideals important to BOMA.
The advocacy committee of BOMA-Phoenix reviewed bills that were of interest to the BOMA membership as a whole, including bills on green energy, taxes, and fire codes. We also spent a day at the Capitol earlier this year meeting with several legislators promoting BOMA’s interests.
This year’s Legislator of the Year award is being presented to Representative Warren H. Petersen of District 12. He was responsible for cleaning up SB 1241 under a Strike-Everything amendment. As amended and signed into law, SB 1241 recognizes the immense financial burden that town, city or county mandated energy benchmarking and efficiency audits impose on building owners. This law protects commercial real estate owners from these mandated measures and allows owners to continue to incentive its members to be more energy efficient through voluntary programs.
Representative Petersen has been a member of the House since 2012. He is the VP Sales for a small home builder and has owned a real estate brokerage for over a decade. He refused taking a pension and has committed to work hard for principles that promote servant leadership.
Representative Petersen, we thank you for your service.
From Left to Right: William Ryan (Pivotal Tax Solutions), Representative Warren Petersen, Michelle and Grace Petersen
Past service and recognition include:
- Representative of the Year – NFIB “The Voice of Small Business”
- Top Scoring Legislator – Arizona Conservative Coalition
- Free Market Champion – Arizona Free Enterprise Club
- Hero of the Taxpayer – Americans for Prosperity
- Ranked #1 for Tax, Budget and Regulatory Issues – Goldwater Institute
- Named one of the top Regulatory Reformers – Arizona Rock Products Association
- Named “Friend of the Family” – The Arizona Family Project
- Cosponsored Legislation to end pensions for politicians
And now Representative Petersen will add to his list of service: BOMA Legislator of the Year for 2015.